Friday, February 8, 2013

What would you do?

I'm posing a question to my audience. What would you do in this situation?

You're in a thrift store looking at some books on a bookcase. Next to you is another bookcase and a woman is sitting on the floor looking at the books on the bottom of that bookcase. You flip through a book laying on top of a pile of other books on your bookcase and decide to purchase it so you put it in your basket. You continue to look at the books. The woman stands up and begins looking around and then says, "Did you pick up that book?"
"Yes I did," you reply.
"I was going to buy that book," she says. Awkward pause. "I put it there while I was looking at the other books."

So.....Do you hand the book over to her or do you keep it?

 
 
I was nice and gave it to her and snidely remarked that I didn't know she was going to buy it and acted generally annoyed by her. Really, I wanted to tell her too bad, it's mine now. I got the feeling she didn't really want it until I picked it up. There's been times I've set something down, only to realize later that I really did want the item, but when I returned it was gone. You snooze you lose. Right? I think that's a basic junking/thrifting rule.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I might have said something and walked away with it. I think she realized she lost it in that moment and wanted it back as soon as she saw someone pick it up. I have had that happen to me at estate sales where I set it down and saw someone immediatly pick it up and I kicked myself later for not getting it. She should have held onto the item. It's a book, I don't think it would have been hard for her to carry around. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete