Friday, June 15, 2012

Take me out to the ballgame

This week my son and I made a quick trip to the cities. He had a doctor's appointment and as luck would have it, the Twins were in town. I am a homebody, but if I had to be any place other than home I would want to be at the ballpark. I grew up with the Metrodome, but I can't get over how much I love Target Field. I feel so privileged that this is the park my kids will grow up with. I would really like to visit Wrigley Field and Fenway, because of the history those two parks hold, but I also love many of the new parks that are designed to look vintage.


One of my favorite features of Target Field is the vintage logo in center field. It features Minnie and Paul shaking hands across the Mississippi. Ray Barton created the logo in 1961. He was paid $15 for his work. Barton thought the image would appear on some cups and other things at old Metropolitan Stadium, but it ended up being one of the team's official logos.

One more piece of Twins history- The Mall of America now resides where Metropolitan Stadium once stood. Take a walk around Nickelodeon Universe and you may spot a gold home plate that marks the spot of Metropolitan Stadium's original home plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment